9/27/2012

Anonymous Hackers hits Philippines Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas or BSP and MWSS


I just woke up to this message from my friend asking me to check out http://www.bsp.gov.ph/

Apparently, the government site has been down for a while now as the suspected famous anonymous hackers hit the Philippines' Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas or BSP. This has also just been recently put in the news in major Philippine networks, roughly 1 hour from this made post.

It hasn't been back up until now. One of my friend's parent work for BSP and I just felt sorry for the Bangko Sentral ng Pilinas to be targeted by the said organization. However, I've read quite a few about these anonymous "hacktivists" and they simply don't attack without reason. It normally delivers a message to support a drive against government malpractice, in public opinion, if I'm not mistaken. There's probably more.

Along with its message is a site background music (BGM) integrated once you load the page. The music in this attack by Anonymous hacktivists, I believe, was "Freedom" by Rage Against the Machine.

This is my snapshot from the website of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)
Their drive against the infamous bill of Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012
Snapshot from MWSS.GOV.PH
According to online news, this happened Wednesday, probably not far from me seeing it tonight. The news are just 1 hour old.

This message of the anonymous Philippine hackers reveal a drive to protect our rights to freedom of expression. I would most likely want to agree to this; however, just by merely typing sensitive opinion on this blog right now, I may get thrown into jail. I would rather choose not.

Nevertheless, I believe the group aimed to speak for the people with regards to our rights to freedom of expression in the cyber world. The government needs to turn their heads to this simple message and this is one reason why I see them targeting one of the most critical government websites of the Philipines, BSP.

After checking back at 00:37 Thursday morning of September 27, 2012, I saw the server has been put back up.

*In addition, MWSS government site has also been attacked bringing up the same message. Apparently, I also know people who work for this government unit :/. I am just surprised that they have been chosen by Anon as hosts for their message to be seen.

*Posted at 1:30 AM DZMM page posted several other list of government sites that have been hacked by Anon. Following Anon's twitter (not sure if official), they have claimed that the PH hackers are indeed members of the organization as they call them "Philippine Brothers and Sisters"

"The threat of the new Cyber Security Act will not slow our Philippine brothers and sisters. Three sites defaced so far. Expect us."
-posted 1 hour ago by @YourAnonNews via TweetDeck

 Here's a list of several sites affected by the attack, so far, by DZMM

  • bsp.gov.ph
  • mwss.gov.ph
  • amchamphilippines.com
  • papt.org.ph
  • smokefree.doh.gov.ph
  • r3denr.com
  • IDEA.org.ph